Thursday, May 13, 2010

Highland Park Girls Basketball Team Shamelessly Told To Stay Home....

basketball_monster_397x224.jpg

On a day in Chicago where there is simply nothing going on with the five professional sport teams in town, I find myself watching a lot more of the hard news stations such as CNN, MSNBC, and FOXNEWS after an hour long workout. The topic that has taken center stage for the last couple of weeks and apparently is still gaining the majority of coverage is the passage of SB 1070 (The Immigration Law) in the state of Arizona.

As I previously stated here on The Rock Report, I am not a fan of professional sports teams getting involved in stances of political policies. Personally I find them insignificant and nothing more than a weak attempt to gain more attention to your franchise which in turn could maybe sell a few more tickets or turn people off of your product. I am a believer in the idea that sports and politics should be like oil and water, they should NEVER mix.

Today I see that a local high school has decided not to allow it's girls basketball team compete in a tournament in the state of Arizona because the law that was passed is not "aligned with our beliefs and values."

Is this truly fair to the girls basketball team of Highland Park High?

No comments: