Monday, September 27, 2010

Has Fantasy Football Killed The Die Hard Fan?

images.jpg
One of the great joys I experience in my job is learning from those that played the game. Every Sunday during Bears football season I get to sit down next to guys who experienced what I am watching in their life at some point. Working the WBBM AM broadcasts of Bears games with Jay Hilgenberg and Jim Schwantz, you also get into some great conversations about how the game has changed since the days when they put on the pads and played the game. The best conversation we get into is about how fantasy football impacts how fans react to certain games especially when it involves your "favorite" team.

For example, tonight as the Packers invade Soilder Field in what has become football's oldest rivalry I find myself at a fork in the road. Do I root for my beloved team who are off to a shocking 2-0 start to the season, or do I root for my own personal gain hoping Aaron Rodgers/Brandon Jackson/Donald Driver light up the Bears defense for points? I am sure (especially tonight) that I am not alone in this situation, but has fantasy football (with the millions of people who play it) ruined what we used to/still do term a "die hard fan"?

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE.....

No comments: